Soft and Chewy Superfood Blueberry Oatmeal Bar
Made this yummy treat for breakfast just before I left Belgium a bit less than a week ago. Tested and well approved by mom, dad was a little hesitant but finished his bar without any complaint. These oatmeal bars are soft and chewy and are packed with all the nutrients to start your day fully energized. They are the perfect on-the-go breakfast or power snack.
Ingredients (makes a 9×9 inch pan, or about 8-10 oatmeal bars)
The oatmeal bar base
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats (certified gluten-free if needed)
- 1 cup raw, unsalted cashew nuts (slivered almonds work too)
- 4 tbsps maple syrup or raw honey
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin coconut oil
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon, or to taste
- 2 ripe bananas, roughly chunked
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup old fashioned rolled oats (certified gluten-free if needed)
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- ¼ cup pumpkin or sunflower seeds (we used sunflower seeds)
- ½ cup mixed nuts of your choice
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk (or any other milk of your choice)
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
For the base
- Preheat oven to 350°F or 175°C.
- Combine all base ingredients in a high-speed blender or food processor. Process/blend until well combined. This may take a minute or two, depending on the strength of your blender/food processor.
- Line the baking pan (9 x 9) with parchment paper. Lightly grease with a little extra-virgin coconut oil. (I used 2 smaller ones as I couldn’t find a 9 x 9-inch pan in my mom’s kitchen)
- Pour the base mixture into the pan and smooth it out with a spoon or spatula. Bake the base for 10 minutes.
For the nutty topping
- Meanwhile, combine all topping ingredients in a bowl and stir well to combine.
- When the base is ready, remove from the oven and spread topping evenly over the base. Press the mixture lightly down into the base. Bake an additional 20 minutes or until the oats are slightly crisp.
- Serve hot or cold. Delicious either way. Oatmeal bars can be stored in the fridge in a sealed container for up to one week.
Not sure what to cook or how to cook healthy meals to improve your family’s health and happiness? Join YourHealhy.Menu for weekly, personalized meal plans; shopping lists; personal support; shop promotions; and much more.
Don’t forget to download my FREE Book “Amy’s Home Kitchen”, for healthy, clean and delicious recipes