Coconut Coated Raw Energy Balls aka Vegan Chocolate Truffles
Pure bliss! Just not eat them in one go.They taste just like chocolate truffles but are loaded with the most amazing, energizing superfoods in the world – coconut oil, maple syrup (or raw honey), raw cacao, and dates.
And the best part… they are super easy to make! Depending on how quick you can roll, you can have two dozen in just 10 minutes or less!
When I was in Belgium, I made these for my mom and she loved them. She even told me she has swapped her chocolate habit for these yummy treats!
Basic Ingredients (makes about 24 to 26 energy bites)
- 2 cups soft dates, pitted
- 2-3 tbsp of raw cacao or carob powder
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (or raw honey for non-vegans), I used maple syrup
- 1 tsp of almond or vanilla extract (optional)
- ¼-⅓ cup shredded coconut
Directions (prep time: about 10 minutes, chill: 1 hour)
- Add all the ingredients, except shredded coconut, to a high-speed blender or food processor. Process until you have a very smooth and uniform consistency. Use a tamper or spatula if needed.
- Using your palms, roll the mixture into small balls and dip/roll them in the shredded coconut until well coated.
- While you can eat them straight away, they taste much better and are firmer after you chilled them in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- If you are not using soft and sticky dates, soak them in warm water for at least one hour to soften them up.
- Also, this recipe is the basic truffle recipe feel free to use different coatings (such as cacao powder, orange zest, or finely crushed nuts) or add additional ingredients such as goji berries, orange zest, mint, seeds or nuts.
Don’t forget to download my FREE Book “Amy’s Home Kitchen,” for healthy, clean and delicious recipes