Avocado Black Bean Quesadilla
I love Mexican-inspired food! This avocado black bean quesadilla makes an easy and delicious appetizer, lunch or dinner the whole family will love. You can serve the quesadillas with extra cashew/sour cream and/or a tomato salsa.
Ingredients (serves 2)
For the Veggie Filling
- ½ lime, juice (lemon works too)
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. ground cumin seeds
- ½ tsp. chili paste or chili pepper (optional), or to taste for spicy variation
- sea salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp maple syrup or raw honey
- 1 cup red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 cup zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup onion, sliced into strips
- 3/4 cup cooked or canned black beans, rinse and drain if using canned
- ¼-½ cup parsley/cilantro, chopped
FYI: ½ cup dried beans = 1.5 cup cooked = 1 15 oz can drained
For the quesadillas
- 2-4 flour or corn tortillas, depending on their size
- 1/2 big avocado
- Stir lime juice, olive oil, cumin, chili paste, salt, pepper, garlic, and maple syrup or honey together in a bowl. Add bell pepper, zucchini, tomatoes, and onion. Toss to coat.
- Optional: allow to marinade at room temperature for up to an hour.
- Place a large skillet or pan over medium-high heat. Add veggies and cook until the vegetables are tender-crisp. This will take about 4 minutes. Remove the veggie mix from the heat and add black beans and chopped parsley or cilantro.
- In a bowl, mash the avocados with a fork. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Spread the mashed avocado onto half of the tortillas.
- Top half of the tortillas with an even layer of veggies, then fold the other half of the tortilla over the veggies.
- Place a lightly oiled skillet over medium heat. Place one or two tortillas in skillet and grill/cook until browned and crispy, This will take about 3 to 4 minutes. Flip the quesadilla and grill until browned on opposite side. Repeat until all quesadillas are cooked, adding oil to the skillet as needed.
Don’t forget to download my FREE Book “Amy’s Home Kitchen,” for healthy, clean and delicious recipes