Toxins In Your House: Does your House Make you Sick? 5 Signs to Watch Out For

Posted By Amy Goodrich on Dec 28, 2016



Toxins In Your House: Does your House Make you Sick? 5 Signs to Watch Out For


Your own house, which you sometimes consider as a safe haven, could be the one, which exposes you to various forms of illness. This happens when pesticides, toxins, molds, gasses and other harmful substances thrive in your home.

Exposing yourself to them can trigger diseases. Here are some signs your house is making you sick, instead of giving you the security you need.


5 Common Toxins In Your House


#1 – Dirty Bathroom

If you can no longer remember the last time you cleaned your bathroom, then maybe it’s time to do the task. Note that your dirty bathroom and bath mats serve as breeding grounds for bacteria, mold, and dust mites. Your exposure to them can actually make you sick.

To prevent yourself from getting exposed to harmful allergens that cause various illnesses, make it a point to clean your bathroom and the items stored in it regularly. Towel off in the tub, as well. This will prevent your bath mat from getting exposed to excess moisture and water, causing bacteria and other allergens to thrive.


#2 – Too Many Chemical Cleaning Products

Avoid storing and using too many cleaning products, as these can eventually trigger eye irritation, breathing problems, and headaches. Some products are even carcinogenic. If you have no choice but to clean using products containing chemicals, then make sure to open the windows, wear gloves, dilute them first, and avoid using more than what is recommended.

Also, avoid products containing harmful compounds like dye, fragrance, 2-butoxyethanol, quaternary ammonium compounds and citrus or pine oil. You may also decide to let go of cleaning products, and use natural options instead.

For glass, for instance, you can just use water and vinegar combination to clean it. Use baking soda if you are in need of an abrasive scrubbing solution. Simple water and soap can also help in your household chores.

Also read 

How To Make Natural Bleach For Your Laundry That Doesn’t Color Or Ruin Your Favorite Fabrics

Beware of Toxic Household Products

Go Green Homemade Dishwasher Detergent Tabs


#3 – Mold Build-up

Most houses today are structured in such a way that molds can easily sneak in – affecting the health of everyone. Mold tends to thrive on wallpapers, drywall, and wood. Since your home is most likely sealed to make it more energy-efficient, it causes locked-in moisture, aggravating the growth of these molds. This can trigger allergic reactions and can worsen the condition of people with asthma.

With that said, check the mold situation of your home routinely. You can seek the aid of a professional for this. You’ll also know that fungi thrive in some areas of your home if you can see peeling, water intrusion, and discoloration.

Another sign is when some areas in your home produce faint smells. Ask a mold specialist to inspect your home if you’re already dealing with physical symptoms like rashes, dry eyes, coughing and sneezing.


#4 – Unregulated Temperature

Unregulated temperature may also be one of those signs your house is making you sick. Note that if your home has an unregulated temperature, your body may need to adjust to the hot and cold temperature continually, disrupting the supply of blood to your heart. Ensure that all rooms in your home have the same temperature.

This will prevent your body from making constant adjustments each time you go to another roomYour home’s central heating system may also damage your eyes’ natural oil gland, causing dryness and eye infection. It can also trigger frequent coughing, especially at night. In this case, installing a flow-through humidifier can help you breathe easier or eliminate dry eyes, nose, and throat when you wake up in the morning. It can easily be added to air heating system. Unlike humidifiers that use a reservoir where water can stagnate, a flow-through humidifier will provide humidity without creating a breeding ground for mold or mildew.


#5 – Indoor Leaks

Leaks can also trigger mold growth. This is problematic, especially if you are prone to asthma and other breathing problems induced by allergies.

A wise tip is to check your closets, attics, basements and pipes regularly. Make sure they’re dry. If there are leaks, clean then dry the particular area where water accumulated. Seeking the aid of a professional roofer or plumber is also advisable.


If you want to reset your body from the inside out, click here to access a 10-day whole food fruit and veggie detox that won’t leave you hungry or short in nutrients



Did you enjoy reading this post? Make sure to like Body on Balance on Facebook or Google+, or Download my FREE Green Smoothie eBook here! 

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This