Discover the Health Benefits of Avocado and 5 Easy Recipes!
Avocados are not only super delicious but considered a super-health food and natural body care miracle. They are definitely one of our family’s favorite fruits. Avocados are a great source of healthy fats and are easily burned for energy. Especially when you eat a diet low in grain carbs and protein, it is important to provide your body with healthy fats such as avocados, coconut oil, olives, and nuts to replace the calories and provide your body with the energy it needs.
A normal Hass avocado contains 22,5 grams of fat (mainly monounsaturated fats), is very low in fructose, and provides a wide range of health-boosting phytonutrients such as fiber, potassium, vitamin E, Vitamin B-complex, and folic acid.
And another great thing to know about avocado’s… they are considered one of the safest foods to eat. Actually, they are that safe that you don’t have to buy them organic. Their thick skin protects the inner fruit of pesticides and other chemical compounds. And so far, no GMOs have been found in any avocado varieties.
Health Benefits of Avocado
- Heart health booster
- Lower LDL cholesterol levels and raise HDL
- Reduce blood pressure
- Reduce the risk of a stroke
- Great source of folic acid for pregnant women
- Brain booster
- Promotes healthy vision
- Prevent blood sugar spikes
- Protects against liver damage
- Boost immune and nervous system
- Improves digestion
- Anti-cancer nutrients
FYI: The Best Way To Peel An Avocado
Research has shown that the greatest concentration of beneficial carotenoids is to be found in the darker meat of the fruit, closest to the peel.
To get the most antioxidants out of your avocado it is recommended to peel it like you would peel a banana. First cut lengthwise and twist both sides and remove its inner seed. Cut again lengthwise and use your thumb and index finger to peel the skin of the four pieces.
5 Of My Favorite Ways To Sneak More Avocados Into My Diet
1. Avocado Salsa
Great healthy party snack or appetizer. Or as a delicious topping on wraps or tacos.
- 3 ripe avocados, chunked
- 1 box cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 limes
- A handful of parsley (or cilantro, but we don’t fancy its taste), chopped
- ½ red onion, diced
- Pinch of sea salt and black pepper
- Add all ingredients into a bowl and mash lightly until desired consistency. We like it chunky.
- Serve with homemade chips or quartered and fried crispy corn tortillas.
2. Avocado Chocolate Mousse
One of my latest discoveries… and super yummy :-), even your kids will love this recipe.
- 1 ripe avocado
- ½ cup raw organic cocoa powder
- 1 ripe banana or a few dates to sweeten things up (or ¼ cup organic agave nectar or raw honey)
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Click here to learn how to make your own vanilla extract. It is super easy!
- Puree all ingredients until smooth. (I used my Blendtec, but any food processor or blender will do the trick)
- Serve chilled.
- For more flavor add blueberries, mango, strawberries, or orange zest
3. Amy’s Green Immune Booster (serves 2)
One of my favorite green smoothie recipes… with avocado of course :-). Click here to claim your FREE copy of “The Green Healthy Lifestyle”, an eBook full of green smoothie recipes, and tips and tricks to make the perfect green smoothie.
4. ALT, Avocado-Lettuce-Tomato Sandwich
The vegetarian answer to a BLT. Creamy and filling lunch.
Ingredients (makes 4 sandwiches):
- 1-2 tbsps. fat-free mayonnaise
- 8 slices whole-grain bread, toasted
- 4 large leaves Romaine lettuce
- 1 ripe tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 peeled and sliced avocado
- Thin slices of cucumber
- Optional: mozzarella slices
- Toast the bread and spread with a tiny bit of mayonnaise
- Layer 4 slices with lettuce, tomato, avocado, cucumber, and mozzarella if adding.
- Top with remaining bread slice and cut diagonally.
5. Spinach Salad With Avocado, Mozzarella, And Strawberry Dressing
I often add avocados to my salads. I tried this recipe a few days ago and loved it. Rich in antioxidants, healthy fats, and other beneficial nutrients.
Ingredients (serves 4)
For the dressing:
- ½ cup chilled and sliced strawberries
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ⅛ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
For the salad:
- 6 ounces baby spinach
- 1 ½ cup chilled and sliced strawberries
- 1 ripe medium mango, peeled and diced
- 5 ounces fresh mozzarella, diced
- 1 Hass avocado, peeled and diced
- 3 tbsp. toasted and chopped almonds
- Combine ½ cup strawberries, olive oil, honey, salt, pepper, and vinegar in a food processor or blender, and process until smooth.
- Add the dressing, spinach, mango, and remaining strawberries to a large salad bowl and toss to mix
- Top with mozzarella, avocado, and almonds.
6. Bonus: Spicy Beef Tortillas With Oven-baked Sweet Potato Fries And Tomato-Avocado Salsa
A few weeks ago a made the most delicious tortillas ever… check out my previous blog post for the full recipe.
What’s your favorite avocado recipe? Please share your healthy dishes, salads, desserts or smoothie recipes with us in the comment box below.
Mad for avocados? Then you’ll love this handy tool! Get your avocados ready in seconds (click the picture for more info)
Ohh and if you are looking for a way to live a healthy lifestyle while eating delicious, colorful meals and losing or maintaining weight the healthy way, click here
Or download my FREE Book “Amy’s Home Kitchen”, packed with my family’s favorite healthy, clean and delicious recipes. Or connect with me on Facebook or Google+